You know how it is you’ve spent a bit too long on the beach and now the kids are starting to get a bit cold and mardy. Worse still their hair is full of sand and they are all going to need a bath and hair wash before they go to bed. You head back to your holiday rental be it apartment or cottage and think about all you have to do before you can relax in front of the telly with that well deserved glass of wine.
Well help is at hand from a traditional British favourite – you pop the kids in the bath and send the old man out for fish and chips. A relatively cheap and warming meal not to be eaten every day but today you’ve earned it. In a recent poll of 7,000 people conducted by Holiday Inn Fish and Chips won the number one spot in the 50 things we most like about Britain beating Her Majesty into the number two slot. Over 250 million fish and chip meals are sold annually throughout the UK and there are over 8,600 shops to choose from.
Here is the list of the top 10 Independent Takeaway Fish and Chip Shops of 2012, so if you are lucky enough to be staying in one of these areas, bung the post code into your sat nav and indulge yourself with a real treat knowing that you are getting the best of the best.
1.Seniors – 91 Fleetwood Road North, Thornton, Lancashire, FY5 4AB. They also have shops in Blackpool and Lytham and they have their own website at www. thinkseniors.com.
A reviewer on Trip Advisor thinks they are worthy of the award; “We went because of the publicity surrounding their recent best regional chippy award, after tasting their fish, chips and peas, I can see why. Is it the batter? I’m not sure, because a fish is a fish and a potato is a potato and obviously peas are peas, but the taste here is definitely unique and is well worth passing a few chippies to go and sample it.”
2. Hanburys – Princes Street, Babbacombe, Torquay, TQ1 3LW.
3. Quayside – 7 Pier Rd, Whitby, North Yorkshire, YO21 3PU.
4. The Bay Fish & Chip shop – Beach Promenade, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, AB39 2RD.
5. Crispy Cod – 12 High Street, Tonyrefail, Porth, Mid Glamorgan, CF39 8PG.
6.The Pit Stop Cafe – Kilkeel, County Down.
7. The Big Fish – Unit 3, Maybird Shopping park, Birmingham Road, Stratford upon Avon, CV37 9JH.
8. Linfords -6 Market Place, Market Deeping, Lincolnshire, PE6 8EA.
9. Seafare -206 London Road, Guildford GU4 7JS.
10. Wigmore Fish & Chips – Unit 6, Wigmore Park Centre, Wigmore Lane, Luton, Bedfordshire, LU2 9XG.